AreaBerkshire (the six unitary authorities of Bracknell Forest, Reading, Slough, West Berkshire, Windsor & Maidenhead, and Wokingham), Buckinghamshire (incl Milton Keynes) and Oxfordshire.
Next members' meeting.
Monday 19 February 2018, 6.30pm at the Jericho Community Centre, 33a Canal Street, Oxford, OX2 6BQ.
A presentation by Rob Mashford of Network Rail about the ongoing works and their scheme for the Oxford corridor as a whole.
Annual General Meeting - Saturday 21st April 2018 10.30 West Oxford Community Centre, Botley Road, Oxford. Details to follow.
Thursday 23rd November 2017, at the New Hope Centre, 95 York Road, Reading, RG1 8DU.
Our guest speaker was Tom Pierpoint, Regional Development Manager, Great Western Railway. He talked to us about GWR’s plans and developments in particular for services across the Thames Valley and Cotswold line areas including the introduction of the IET and 387 fleets. This was a good opportunity for members to have their say and contribute to what was a lively and informed discussion.
We held our 2017 Annual General Meeting on Saturday 22nd April 2017 at the Hub, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1NJ.
Our guest speaker was Stephen Barker, Strategic Development Engineer, Chiltern Railways, who gave us a presentation reviewing the reopening and start of services between Oxford and London Marylebone and also Chiltern's future plans, covering the remaining years of the franchise, as well as the proposal to extend some services to link with Crossrail at Old Oak Common.
The Hub is a very short walk from High Wycombe station and we held our AGM there for the first time following the start of through trains from Oxford.
Wednesday 16th November, at the Jericho Community Centre, 33a Canal Street, Oxford, OX2 6BQ.
A presentation from Network Rail about schemes and future plans for the Oxford corridor as a whole.
Tuesday 20th September 2016 at The Chamber, Bicester Town Council, The Garth, Launton Road, Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX26 6PS.
Our guest speaker was Martin Tugwell, Director, who spoke on the activity and ambitions of the new Heartland Strategic Alliance Strategic Transport Forum.
Our 2016 Annual General Meeting was held at Oxford, on Saturday 16 April 2016 at the West Oxford Community Centre, Botley Road, Oxford, OX2 0BT.
Guest speaker was Chris Austin, co-author with Richard Faulkner of 'Disconnected: broken links in Britain's Rail Policy'.
A members’ meeting was held on Wednesday 18 November 2015 at the New Hope Centre, 95 York Road, Reading, RG1 8DU. Our guest speaker was Tom Pierpoint, Regional Development Manager, Great Western Railway who spoke about the new GWR franchise, in particular plans for the Thames Valley area.
Jointly with Oxon & Bucks Rail Action Committee, on Wednesday 9 September 2015 at Bicester Town Council, The Garth Launton Road, Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX26 6PS. Guest speaker was Stephen Barker of Chiltern Railways on the Bicester-Oxford Railway.
The Annual General Meeting at Oxford on Saturday 18 April 2015 was held at the West Oxford Community Centre, Botley Road, Oxford, OX2 0BT.
Our guest speaker was Adrian Shooter CBE, Chairman of Oxfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership, and also a Railfuture Vice-President. Adrian’s long and successful railway career culminated with the Chairmanship of Chiltern Railways which he took over in 1996. He gave us a wide ranging talk based on his experiences at Chiltern and his views of how we go forward from here in the Thames Valley area particularly in view of the growth of LEPS and devolved power structures and how Railfuture and pressure groups can influence these outcomes.
Thames Valley and London & South East Branches joint meeting: Saturday 22 November 2014 at The New Hope Centre, 95 York Road, Reading, RG1 8DU.
Our guest speaker was George Bathurst of the Windsor Link Railway who addressed us about their plans. See Windsor Link for details of this project.
The 2014 AGM was held on 7 May in Oxford. After the formal business our guest speaker, Mike Hogg, Projects & Planning Director, First Great Western, gave a talk titled 'Oxford's railway - Getting Ready for its New Role' which covered the Oxford station masterplan.
Newslettersclick on No. to view, date to download:
No.93 - January 2018
No.92 - August 2017
No.91 - December 2016
No.90 - July 2016
No.89 - February 2016
No.88 - October 2015
No.87 - July 2015
No.86 - February 2015
No.85 - October 2014
No.84 - July 2014
No.83 - March 2014
No.82 - July 2013
No.81 - February 2013
Thames Valley on TwitterIn addition to the national Twitter feed @Railfuture, you can follow local news within the Thames Valley Branch at @RailfutureTV
- East-West Rail Route: Felixstowe-Ipswich-Cambridge-Bedford-Milton Keynes-Oxford
- Find out more and register your support with Railfuture by clicking Ox-Cam
- Chiltern’s Evergreen 3 and East-West Rail (Oxford – Marylebone and Oxford/Aylesbury – Milton Keynes.) Marylebone - Oxford Parkway (Water Eaton) opened October 2015 and Marylebone - Oxford in December 2016.
- Oxford - Didcot corridor enhancement.
- High Wycombe – Bourne End - Maidenhead - Heathrow re-opening and 2tph on Marlow branch.
- Cowley branch line reopening to passengers.
- Hanborough Station - more services and station/car park improvements.
- Extra capacity and rebuilding/improving Oxford station (in addition to Chiltern's new platforms at the north end).
- Western rail access to Heathrow from Slough and Reading.
- Enhanced connectivity Oxford - Reading – Gatwick.
- Safeguarding future potential freight terminal sites.
- Oxford - Witney/Carterton corridor.
- Grove/Wantage station reopening
- New station at Aylesbury South for the new Garden Town proposal, also serving Stoke Mandeville Hospital (on the Amersham Line).
- Quadrupling Didcot - Swindon & reintroduction of trains on the Oxford - Bristol axis.
- Intercity Express Project.
- Great Western main line electrification.
- Crossrail west of London.
- Improvements to the quality of Cross Country Trains services in next franchise.
- High-speed 2 (HS2)including additional Chiltern route to Old Oak Common.
- Windsor Link Railway - connecting Windsor's two stations by a short tunnel section.
- Oxford - Stratford (tourist link) via Honeybourne and Long Marston.
- Rolling electrification programme.
- events and key dates for rail campaigners
Thames Valley Rail User GroupsRail user groups in the Thames Valley are shown on Railfuture's Regional List of Rail User Groups. The Regional List can be downloaded in PDF format here.
ContactEmail thamesvalley at railfuture.org.uk if you have any specific questions or comments about campaigns in the Thames Valley area.
Railfuture - The independent campaign for a better passenger and freight rail network
We need you - Join us!
Please go to the Join page to become a member of Railfuture.
Railfuture is the campaigning name for the Railway Development Society Ltd, a company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales No 5011634.
Registered office: 24 Chedworth Place, Tattingstone, Suffolk IP9 2ND.