AreaCounties of Cumbria and Lancashire, the unitary authorities of Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Cheshire East, Cheshire West & Chester, Halton, and Warrington, and the Metropolitan Districts of Bolton, Bury, Knowsley, Liverpool, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, St. Helens, Salford, Sefton, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and Wirral
Branch MeetingsDue to the ongoing pandemic we don't expect to hold any face to face branch meetings for the first half of this year, however we are hoping to be able to resume them in the autumn, with the first planned for September 11th at our usual time of 1300 venue tba, do please check again here nearer the time.
For further details of meetings, please contact either the chair, vice chair or secretary of Railfuture North West through the shared email address northwest at railfuture.org.uk.
Current campaignsEast Coast Main Line Timetable changes
Railfuture North West, Yorkshire and North East branches will be responding jointly to the East Coast Maim Line consultation which proposals to change services; for us this is because of the impact on through Trans Pennine Express services. Under the proposals, the current Liverpool- Edinburgh service will be terminated and start back from Newcastle, while the current Manchester Airport - Newcastle service will be terminated and start back from York.
The consultation can be found here, if you have any comments, please contact the branch chair or secretary at northwest at railfuture.org.uk.
Railfuture have launched a Northern Powerhouse campaign for improved services that can be achieved now within current constraints, and that can be achieved in future through a coordinated investment programme, to turn the great Northern cities of Liverpool, Preston, Manchester, Sheffield, Bradford, Leeds and Hull into a single strategic economic entity linked by a fast high capacity rail network to realise the economic potential of the region as a global powerhouse.
Specific local campaigns include:
- Two trains per hour on the Mid-Cheshire line
- Re-opening the line between Skipton and Colne SELRAP. Also note the ne|ws here regarding the Governments announcement of study into re-opening.
- Re-opening of the Keswick Railway between Penrith and Keswick
- A new line and station to get the town of Skelmersdale back on the rail network
- A reliable enhanced service on the Wrexham-Bidston Line, a new station serving Deeside Industrial Park and the introduction of through trains to Liverpool as soon as suitable rolling stock becomes available.
- Daily passenger services between Clitheroe and Hellifield, probably to be achieved by the introduction of through services to Manchester that the Friends of the Settle Carlisle Line group wants to see
- Re-opening of the current freight only Northwich - Sandbach line, to include a new station at Middlewich. Following much hard work by Mid Cheshire Rail Users Association (MCRUA) and others, the Department for Transport is set to examine reopening the Mid Cheshire Rail Link (the current freight-only line from Sandbach to Northwich) with business leaders, following pressure from the Government’s deputy chief whip. A working group is set to be formed by the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and officials from the DfT at the request of Paul Maynard, (previously rail minister), after lobbying from Tatton MP Esther McVey.
Branch NewsletterLatest Rail North West view or download PDF 0.9MB]
Rail user groups
- Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users’ Association
- Chinley & Buxworth Transport Group
- Copeland Rail User Group
- Friends of Denton Station
- Friends of Goostrey Station
- Furness Line Action Group
- Goyt Valley Rail Users’ Association (Stockport)
- Lakes Line Rail User Group
- Lancaster and Skipton Rail Users’ Group
- Friends of Littleborough Stations (Lancashire)
- Mid Cheshire Rail Users’ Association (MCRUA)
- North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG)
- Ormskirk, Preston and Southport Travellers Association (OPSTA)
- Friends of Reddish South Station
- Ribble Valley Rail
- Shrewsbury-Chester Rail Users’ Association
- Skipton-East Lancashire Railway Action Partnership (SELRAP) (reopening campaign)
- Wirral Transport Users’ Association
- Wrexham-Bidston Rail Users Association
EventsRailfuture and other regional and national events, including conferences and key campaign dates.
Branch contactsPLEASE NOTE THE BRANCH DOES NOT HAVE A MEDIA SPOKESPERSON AND IS UNABLE TO ANSWER MEDIA QUERIES.
Trevor Bishop, Branch Chairman
Tel. 0161 485 8426. Email: trevor.bishop at railfuture.org.uk
Malcolm Conway, Vice Chairman
58, Greengate Lane
Tel: 01539 725995. Email: malcolm.conway at railfuture.org.uk