AreaCounties of Cumbria and Lancashire, the unitary authorities of Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Cheshire East, Cheshire West & Chester, Halton, and Warrington, and the Metropolitan Districts of Bolton, Bury, Knowsley, Liverpool, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, St. Helens, Salford, Sefton, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and Wirral
MeetingsThe next branch committee meeting, open to all members, will be on Saturday 3rd November at the Hilda Meeting Room, Blackburn Cathedral, Cathedral Close, Blackburn, BB1 5AA. The meeting will start at 1300 as normal, there are options nearby for lunch, which will be planned around 1200. (The Postal Order Wetherspoons is nearby on Darwen Street.) PLEASE NOTE, due to ongoing strike action by the RMT, its possible that we may move the location of this meeting because Northern have not been running many trains through Blackburn on strike days, meaning some members would have difficulty in attending, members will be notified as soon this is confirmed.
EventsRailfuture and other regional and national events, including conferences and key campaign dates.
Current campaignsRailfuture have launched a Northern Powerhouse campaign for improved services that can be achieved now within current constraints, and that can be achieved in future through a coordinated investment programme, to turn the great Northern cities of Liverpool, Preston, Manchester, Sheffield, Bradford, Leeds and Hull into a single strategic economic entity linked by a fast high capacity rail network to realise the economic potential of the region as a global powerhouse.
Specific local campaigns include:
- Two trains per hour on the Mid-Cheshire line
- Re-opening the line between Skipton and Colne SELRAP. Also note the news here regarding the Governments announcement of study into re-opening.
- Re-opening of the Keswick Railway between Penrith and Keswick
- A new line and station to get the town of Skelmersdale back on the rail network
- A reliable enhanced service on the Wrexham-Bidston Line, a new station serving Deeside Industrial Park and the introduction of through trains to Liverpool as soon as suitable rolling stock becomes available.
- Daily passenger services between Clitheroe and Hellifield, probably to be achieved by the introduction of through services to Manchester that the Friends of the Settle Carlisle Line group wants to see
- Services over the Halton curve should resume later this year after works are completed (following a concerted campaign from North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG))
- Re-opening of the current freight only Northwich - Sandbach line, to include a new station at Middlewich. Following much hard work by Mid Cheshire Rail Users Association (MCRUA) and others, the Department for Transport is set to examine reopening the Mid Cheshire Rail Link (the current freight-only line from Sandbach to Northwich) with business leaders, following pressure from the Government’s deputy chief whip. A working group is set to be formed by the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and officials from the DfT at the request of Paul Maynard, (previously rail minister), after lobbying from Tatton MP Esther McVey.
Branch NewslettersRail North West Summer 2018 - view or download PDF 1.1MB
Rail North West Winter 2017-18 - view or download PDF 1.4MB
Rail North West Summer 2017 view or download PDF 1.3MB
Rail North West Winter 2016-17 - view or download PDF 1.80 MB
Rail North West Summer 2016 - view or download PDF 1.47MB
Rail North West Spring 2016 - new franchises special - view or download PDF 1.2MB
Rail North West Winter 2015-16 final - view or download PDF 1.2MB
Rail North West Summer 2015 - view or download PDF 1.18MB
Rail North West Winter 2014-15 - view or download PDF 1.22MB
Rail North West Summer 2014 - view or download PDF 732kB
Rail North West Winter 2013-14 - view or download PDF 1.02MB
Rail North West Summer 2013 - view or download PDF 961kB
Rail user groups
- Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users’ Association
- Chinley & Buxworth Transport Group
- Copeland Rail User Group
- Friends of Denton Station
- Furness Line Action Group
- Goyt Valley Rail Users’ Association (Stockport)
- Lakes Line Rail User Group
- Lancaster and Skipton Rail Users’ Group
- Friends of Littleborough Stations (Lancashire)
- Mid Cheshire Rail Users’ Association (MCRUA)
- North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG)
- Ormskirk, Preston and Southport Travellers Association (OPSTA)
- Friends of Reddish South Station
- Ribble Valley Rail
- Shrewsbury-Chester Rail Users’ Association
- Skipton-East Lancashire Railway Action Partnership (SELRAP) (reopening campaign)
- Wirral Transport Users’ Association
- Wrexham-Bidston Rail Users Association
Rail user groups in the North West are also shown on Railfuture's Regional List of Rail User Groups. The Regional List can be viewed or downloaded in PDF format here.
Branch contactsTrevor Bishop, Branch Chairman
Tel. 0161 485 8426. Email: trevor.bishop at railfuture.org.uk
Malcolm Conway, Vice Chairman
58, Greengate Lane
Tel: 01539 725995. Email: malcolm.conway at railfuture.org.uk
Railfuture - The independent campaign for a better passenger and freight rail network
We need you - Join us!
Please go to the Join page to become a member of Railfuture.
Railfuture is the campaigning name for Railfuture Ltd, a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales No 5011634. Registered office: 24 Chedworth Place, Tattingstone, Suffolk IP9 2ND.