Railfuture holds two national conferences each year, usually in the summer and autumn (in addition to its AGM for members). We aim only to cover our costs. The conferences are competitively priced, to be within rail users' price range, and are open to everyone. Railfuture members are usually offered a chance to attend at a discounted rate.
Speakers come from a variety of backgrounds. Some of the organisations who have spoken at conferences include Arriva Cross Country, Arriva Trains Wales, Association of Train Operating Companies, Cardiff International Airport, Centro, Chester-le-Track, Chiltern Railways, Delta Rail, East Midlands Trains, East West Rail Consortium, East Coast, Eurostar, First Capital Connect, First Great Western, First Transpennine Express, Grand Central, Great Western Railway, Hitachi Rail Europe, HS2, London Midland, London Overground Railway Operations, Merseytravel, MyTestTrack.com, Network Rail, Northern Rail, Nottingham Express Transit, Parry People Movers, South West Trains, TramPower, Transport Salaried Staffs' Association, Virgin Trains, Virgin Trains East Coast and Vivarail.
Click HERE to see a list events and speakers for each organisation.
To follow Railfuture's conferences on Twitter use the '#rfconference' hash-tag.
Note: this hash-tag is not exclusive to Railfuture.
2016/Scottish Borders [link]
- Hosted by Railfuture Scotland branch
- Begins at 10:45, registration from 10:00, finishes by 17:00
- David Spaven, Author (talking about History of the Borders railway closure)
- Dr Ann Glen, Author and Lecturer (talking about Rebuilding the Borders Railway - A record of the workings along the line)
- David Parker, Leader, Scottish Borders Council (talking about Revitalisation of the Borders economy)
- Giles Ingram, Chief Executive, Abbotsford House - home of Sir Walter Scott (talking about Tourism)
- Representative, Scottish Mining Museum
- Representative, Levenmouth Rail Campaign
- Jane Ann Liston, St Andrews Railway Campaign
- Welcome by Councillor Russell Imrie, chair of South East Scotland Transport Partnership
- The above speakers and/or organisations are all confirmed
- Venue: Scottish Mining Museum
- Newtongrange, Midlothian
- Postcode: EH22 4QN
- Route: Short walk from Newtongrange Station, signposted from the station
- For further details about the conference please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Places are still free to book - but bookings for this conference will close on 16/06/2016
- The 'Early Bird' offer for members ended on 30/04/2016 - all places now at the full price.
- Prices for Scottish Borders: [book]
- £25.00 - Members after 30th April
- £25.00 - Non-members
- £15.00 - 16-25 Railcard Holder
- £45.00 - 2 People
- Includes: Welcome refreshments and buffet lunch. This conference is being subsidised by Railfuture and is £5 cheaper than normal
- Click [HERE] to download a booking form (PDF format).
- Hosted by Railfuture West Midlands branch
- Begins at 10:45, registration from 10:00, finishes by 17:00
- Toby Rackcliff, Rail Policy and Strategy Manager, West Midlands Combined Authority
- Maria Machancoses, Programme Director, Midlands Connect
- Lord Berkeley, Chairman, Rail Freight Group
- Alice Gillman, Communications, Vivarail (talking about The Class 230- a new train for a new franchise)
- Stephen Joseph, Executive Director, Campaign for Better Transport
- Professor Clive Roberts, University of Birmingham (talking about The digital age of railways)
- Railfuture President Christian Wolmar opens the conference and welcomes Lord Mayor of Birmingham
- The above is the full list of speakers - it is a packed programme. There is also the annual Rail User Group Awards
- Venue: The Priory Rooms
- Quaker Meeting House, 40 Bull Street, Birmingham
- Postcode: B4 6AF
- Phone: (0121) 236 2317
- Places are still free to book - but bookings for this conference will close on 10/11/2016
- The 'Early Bird' discount offer for members only is still open but will end on 31/08/2016.
- Prices for Birmingham: [book]
- £25.00 - Early bird (members only)
- £30.00 - Members after 31st August
- £30.00 - Non-members
- £20.00 - 16-25 Railcard Holder
- Includes: Welcome refreshments and buffet lunch
2017/Peterborough (AGM) [link]
- 20/05/2017 13th RDS Ltd AGM
- Hosted by Railfuture East Anglia branch
- Registration from 10:00, begins at 10:45 with speakers, AGM from 14:00, finishes by 17:00
- Venue: Peterborough Central Library
- Room: John Clare Theatre
- 36-40 Broadway, Peterborough
- Postcode: PE1 1RX
- Phone: (01733) 864169
- Email: email@example.com
- The John Clare Theatre is on the first floor of the Central Library building and seats 142 people. It is fully accessible
- The AGM is open to all current members or their proxy - there is no fee to attend.
- Proxy votes can be registered between 09/03/2017 and 18/05/2017
- Motions must be received by the Company Secretary by 06/05/2017
- Refreshments are complimentary. Lunch, if required, must be purchased in advance [book].
- Alternative places for lunch include There will be plenty of places to buy lunch within 15 minutes' walk.
- The venue does not allow people to eat their own food on the premises.
- Lunch Prices for Peterborough AGM: [book]
- £9.50 - Standard Lunch
Book Your Conference Place/AGM Lunch Now
A conference fee discount is available for group attendance (5+ people) - please contact by e-mail for price:
You do not have to be a member to attend a conference, but you can save money if you are. To become a member click
[HERE] to book the next conference and join Railfuture at the same time - you'll get a special discount
If bookings for the next conference have closed this will be for the conference after that.
(MEDIA: For a free 'press pass' please contact Bruce Williamson by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on 07759 557389).
Terms and Conditions
Before booking please make sure that you have read the Railfuture conference terms and conditions (PDF format).
2016/Milton Keynes [link]
- 21/05/2016 12th RDS Ltd AGM
- Hosted by Railfuture Thames Valley branch
- Iain Stewart, MP for Milton Keynes South, Parliamentary Transport Select Committee member (talked about East West Rail)
- Allison Cosgrove, Chair, Railfuture Scotland (talked about Reopening of the Borders Railway in Scotland)
- Welcome by the Worshipful the Mayor of Milton Keynes, Councillor Steve Coventry
- Election results for the Board of Directors were announced - click HERE to see results
Past events for each year
Up to three national events are held each year. Click on the location to see the details.
Support Our National Campaigning - Join Railfuture
Annual Rates: £18 adults, £14 concessions
Page last changed on 24th April 2016.