The Directors believe it is sensible to focus and encourage use of the “Fighting Fund”: get the best out of the current railway given the constraints on it. So we launched our competition The Railway | A better choice competition on 16 July. The relevant extract from the full AGM slide deck is here: download | view.
Our competition is designed to give impetus to initiatives and campaigns that focus on the here and now, and do not require significant investment to deliver. The funding of these initiatives and campaigns is part of our overall Fighting Fund activity - not separate from it.
The Word cloud used at the AGM announcing the initiative shows some of the aspects that we see as important:
Our Goal: Parts of the railway are already busy (or even busier) than pre-pandemic; how can the rest of the railway become busier? Eg
- Filling empty space on current services
- Protecting existing service levels (not just frequency / capacity, but station facilities etc)
- More use of rolling stock spending too much time in sidings
- Changing service patterns
- An outline application (one page), followed by shortlisting
- If shortlisted: a full application, followed by a decision
I'm interested: What next? You should:
- Register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a one sentence description of what you want to achieve
- Read the AGM Presentation (download | view) for additional detail and the 'bigger' - and the 'smaller' print
- Complete the Request for Ideas form (one page) and return it to email@example.com by no later than Friday 12 August (email us for a Word version of this form
- By 19 August we'll advise you if you have been successful or not and set out the next steps. You will have until 1 October to complete the "Developed Idea" submission.