AreaCheshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Cumbria
North West User Group STORM highlights huge fare variations across England and Wales
MeetingsThe next branch meeting will be on Saturday 22nd April 2017, at the Jubilee Hall Stanley Road, Knutsford, WA16 0GP. NOTE THIS IS CHANGED FROM THE PREVIOUSLY PLANNED VENUE IN MOBBERLEY. please contact the Chairman or Secretary for further details. The meeting will start at around 1315. For those wanting to take lunch there is no facilities at the venue but we have identified several nearby and plan to meet around 1200 (this is coincide with the 1201 arrival for most members coming from Manchester and 1143 from the Chester direction). Three nearby eating venues are http://the-lostandfound.co.uk/knutsford/menu/dinner (about 300 yards from venue and station) http://www.carrwoodltd.com/old-sessions-house/ (about 6 minutes walk) and http://www.joseph-holt.com/pubs/view/angel-king-st (about 10 minutes from venue).
Current campaignsRailfuture have launched a Northern Powerhouse campaign for improved services that can be achieved now within current constraints, and that can be achieved in future through a coordinated investment programme, to turn the great Northern cities of Liverpool, Preston, Manchester, Sheffield, Bradford, Leeds and Hull into a single strategic economic entity linked by a fast high capacity rail network to realise the economic potential of the region as a global powerhouse.
Specific local campaigns include:
- Two trains per hour on the Mid-Cheshire line
- Re-opening the line between Skipton and Colne SELRAP. Also note the news here.
- Re-opening of the Keswick Railway between Penrith and Keswick
- A new line and station to get the town of Skelmersdale back on the rail network
- A reliable enhanced service on the Wrexham-Bidston Line, a new station serving Deeside Industrial Park and the introduction of through trains to Liverpool as soon as suitable rolling stock becomes available.
- Daily passenger services between Clitheroe and Hellifield, probably to be achieved by the introduction of through services to Manchester that the Friends of the Settle Carlisle Line group wants to see
- The return of services over the Halton curve and Northwich - Sandbach to include a new station at Middlewich. Download the latest business case.
Branch NewslettersRail North West Winter 2016-17 PDF 1.80 MB
Rail North West Summer 2016 PDF 1.47MB
Rail North West Spring 2016 - new franchises special PDF 1.2MB
Rail North West Winter 2015-16 final PDF 1.2MB
Rail North West Summer 2015 PDF 1.18MB
Rail North West Winter 2014-15 PDF 1.22MB
Rail North West Summer 2014 PDF 732kB
Rail North West Winter 2013/14 PDF 1.02MB
Rail North West Summer 2013 PDF 961kB
Rail user groups
- Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users’ Association
- Copeland Rail User Group
- Friends of Denton Station
- Furness Line Action Group
- Goyt Valley Rail Users’ Association (Stockport)
- Lakes Line Rail User Group
- Lancaster and Skipton Rail Users’ Group
- Friends of Littleborough Stations (Lancashire)
- Mid Cheshire Rail Users’ Association (MCRUA)
- North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG)
- Ormskirk, Preston and Southport Travellers Association (OPSTA)
- Friends of Reddish South Station
- Ribble Valley Rail
- Shrewsbury-Chester Rail Users’ Association
- Skipton-East Lancashire Railway Action Partnership (SELRAP) (reopening campaign)
- Wirral Transport Users’ Association
- Wrexham-Bidston Rail Users Association
Rail user groups in the North West are also shown on Railfuture's Regional List of Rail User Groups. The Regional List can be downloaded in PDF format here.
Branch contactsTrevor Bishop, Branch Chairman
Tel. 0161 485 8426. Email: trevor.bishop at railfuture.org.uk
Malcolm Conway, Vice Chairman
58, Greengate Lane
Tel: 01539 725995. Email: malcolm.conway at railfuture.org.uk
Railfuture - The independent campaign for a better passenger and freight rail network
We need you - Join us!
Please go to the Join page to become a member of Railfuture.
Railfuture is the campaigning name for the Railway Development Society Ltd, a company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales No 5011634.
Registered office: 24 Chedworth Place, Tattingstone, Suffolk IP9 2ND.