AreaCheshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Cumbria
MeetingsThe next branch committee meeting open to members, is on Saturday 2nd September 2017, at the Patten Arms, Parker St, Warrington WA1 1LS starting at 1300. For those that want to have lunch, members are aiming to be there at 12.
Current campaignsRailfuture have launched a Northern Powerhouse campaign for improved services that can be achieved now within current constraints, and that can be achieved in future through a coordinated investment programme, to turn the great Northern cities of Liverpool, Preston, Manchester, Sheffield, Bradford, Leeds and Hull into a single strategic economic entity linked by a fast high capacity rail network to realise the economic potential of the region as a global powerhouse.
Specific local campaigns include:
- Two trains per hour on the Mid-Cheshire line
- Re-opening the line between Skipton and Colne SELRAP. Also note the news here.
- Re-opening of the Keswick Railway between Penrith and Keswick
- A new line and station to get the town of Skelmersdale back on the rail network
- A reliable enhanced service on the Wrexham-Bidston Line, a new station serving Deeside Industrial Park and the introduction of through trains to Liverpool as soon as suitable rolling stock becomes available.
- Daily passenger services between Clitheroe and Hellifield, probably to be achieved by the introduction of through services to Manchester that the Friends of the Settle Carlisle Line group wants to see
- The return of services over the Halton curve and Northwich - Sandbach to include a new station at Middlewich. Download the latest business case.
Branch NewslettersRail North West Summer 2017 - view or download PDF 1.3MB
Rail North West Winter 2016-17 - view or download PDF 1.80 MB
Rail North West Summer 2016 - view or download PDF 1.47MB
Rail North West Spring 2016 - new franchises special - view or download PDF 1.2MB
Rail North West Winter 2015-16 final - view or download PDF 1.2MB
Rail North West Summer 2015 - view or download PDF 1.18MB
Rail North West Winter 2014-15 - view or download PDF 1.22MB
Rail North West Summer 2014 - view or download PDF 732kB
Rail North West Winter 2013-14 - view or download PDF 1.02MB
Rail North West Summer 2013 - view or download PDF 961kB
Rail user groups
- Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users’ Association
- Chinley & Buxworth Transport Group
- Copeland Rail User Group
- Friends of Denton Station
- Furness Line Action Group
- Goyt Valley Rail Users’ Association (Stockport)
- Lakes Line Rail User Group
- Lancaster and Skipton Rail Users’ Group
- Friends of Littleborough Stations (Lancashire)
- Mid Cheshire Rail Users’ Association (MCRUA)
- North Cheshire Rail Users’ Group (NCRUG)
- Ormskirk, Preston and Southport Travellers Association (OPSTA)
- Friends of Reddish South Station
- Ribble Valley Rail
- Shrewsbury-Chester Rail Users’ Association
- Skipton-East Lancashire Railway Action Partnership (SELRAP) (reopening campaign)
- Wirral Transport Users’ Association
- Wrexham-Bidston Rail Users Association
Rail user groups in the North West are also shown on Railfuture's Regional List of Rail User Groups. The Regional List can be viewed or downloaded in PDF format here.
Branch contactsTrevor Bishop, Branch Chairman
Tel. 0161 485 8426. Email: trevor.bishop at railfuture.org.uk
Malcolm Conway, Vice Chairman
58, Greengate Lane
Tel: 01539 725995. Email: malcolm.conway at railfuture.org.uk
Railfuture - The independent campaign for a better passenger and freight rail network
We need you - Join us!
Please go to the Join page to become a member of Railfuture.
Railfuture is the campaigning name for the Railway Development Society Ltd, a company limited by guarantee. Registered in England and Wales No 5011634. Registered office: 24 Chedworth Place, Tattingstone, Suffolk IP9 2ND.